Resources for Those Who Work With or Care for Children
How many items can I sign out?
You may have a maximum of 7 items on your card at one time. This includes 2 large items, one of which can be a mini kit.
Can I bring my children with me on my visit to the ASCY Professional Resource Library or an outreach location?
If you are using ANY equipment, children under the age of 16 are NOT permitted on-site. For a quick (5-minute-maximum) toy lending or toy return, children are allowed on-site under your immediate supervision.
Can I bring a guest to the Professional Resource Library?
Guests over the age of 16 are welcome. If they are planning to use ANY equipment, they must purchase a day pass ($5.00)
How do I make sure I return everything I take out?
In every bin, there is a parts list. Check the parts list when you get home and call us if something is missing. Use the parts list to ensure all pieces are returned to the bin.
Professional Resource Library memberships are open to residents and employees who work with or provide care for children in the city of Hamilton. The Professional Resource Library membership costs $40.00 and is renewed annually on the anniversary month. A membership card is issued with your ID number. This card must be worn at all times when in the Professional Resource Library (cards are for individual member use only and are non-transferrable and non-refundable).
This membership entitles the member to:
- Use of Professional Resource Library and lending services
- Use of the Professional Resource Library equipment and work area
- ASCY e-newsletters
ASCY is an adult-oriented work environment, therefore, for health, safety and liability reasons, individuals under the age of 16 are not allowed on the premises when equipment is being used.
Please note: full-time students receive memberships at a 50% discount.
We also offer Day Passes for $5.00.
The Professional Resource Library is closed from Saturday July 23, 2016 to Monday August 8, 2016 inclusive. The Professional Resource Library will reopen on Tuesday August 9, 2016 at 10:00 a.m.
Please Note: The Professional Resource Library is closed ALL Saturdays of Holiday Weekends, two weeks during the summer, and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Administrative Office: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
We are pleased to offer Beautiful Junk in the Professional Resource Library where new items are added regularly. Members may purchase a bag of “found materials” to use in their programs. There are a wide variety of materials that can be used in art, blocks, dramatic play and quiet areas, to name just a few. Come in and check it out!
- Certain services are accompanied by a minimum charge.
- Some equipment may be reserved for off-site loan.
- Resource Books
- Educational Videos/DVDs
- Government Publications
- Teaching Aids
- Educational Toys
- Curriculum Kits
- Family/Teacher Resource Bins
- Cooks Bins (Nutritional Information)
- Supervision/Administration Bins
- Workplace Motivational Resource Bins
- Photocopying, black & white, as well as colour laser copier
- Die Press
- Paper Cutter
- Public Access Computers
- Board Room (maximum of 12 people)
- Meeting Room (Maximum of 25 People)
- Button Machine
- Curriculum Kits
- Picture Communication Symbols Training (by appointment)
PE to Go is now available to licensed child care supervisors in Hamilton and PRL members through ASCY’s Professional Resource Library.
Guidelines for Library Outreach
- Outreach is currently operating at Mohawk College, in room F145 from late September or early October until April and is closed during reading weeks and during the Christmas Break.
- Human Services students and faculty may use the services of the ASCY Outreach at Mohawk.
- There is no cost for borrowing but those doing so must fill out a form indicating their name, email, phone number and student number (if applicable) so we can communicate with them if the need arises.
- Limited die press is available at Mohawk.
- Purchase of quick ideas, paper and other items for die pressing are available at the Outreach at Mohawk.
- Outreach will be cancelled due to poor weather or the illness/vacation of the Library staff member.
For information on Outreach times and information, contact Jan Smith at 905-575-6017 ext. 222, or e-mail email@example.com
Information can also be found on Mocomotion during the Fall and Winter sessions of the academic year.