Getting Help Early Can…
- Help your child learn to be an effective communicator
- Improve your child’s chances of success at school
- Help your child get along with other children and adults
- Reduce any worries you may have about your child’s communication
- Put you in touch with the correct help and support as soon as possible
It is never too early to call. Even very young children can be helped to improve their communication skills.
Eligibility for Services
- Early Words accepts referrals for all preschool children living in the City of Hamilton, prior to school eligibility
- Early Words accepts referrals for children who are referred prior to August 31st of their Junior Kindergarten year (for those who are entering school in September of that year)
- Early Words accepts referrals for children who are transferring to Hamilton from another Preschool Speech and Language Program
If your child has entered Junior Kindergarten, speech and language services may be accessed through the School Board Speech Language Pathologist. Please contact your school Principal to request services.
If your child is eligible for Senior Kindergarten, or attending Senior Kindergarten, speech and language services may be accessed through the School Board Speech Language Pathologist. Please contact your school Principal to request services.
If you live outside of the City of Hamilton, or are moving to another region, find the Preschool Speech and Language Program in your area.
Who Can Refer
Referrals are accepted from parents/legal guardians, and from community professionals with parent/legal guardian consent.
Making a Referral
To make a referral for a young child, please contact Early Words at 905-381-2828 X224
- Intake will go through a brief questionnaire to gather relevant information and contact information
- A hearing assessment may be scheduled
- An appointment with a Speech Language Pathologist is scheduled. The Speech Language Pathologist will work with you to determine the best way to address your concerns and meet the needs of your child.
- The appointment with the Speech Language Pathologist must be completed before services for your child can be accessed.
- If you need to change this appointment for any reason prior to the scheduled date and time, please contact Early Words at (905) 381-2828 ext. 224 to reschedule. These appointments are in great demand, and rescheduling may require that you wait for the next available appointment.
- If you have an appointment, please feel free to contact the Early Words office at 905-381-2828 extension 224 to confirm your appointment
- If you have a confirmed appointment, see “How To Get To Your Appointment”, for information on the location.