AFFILIATED SERVICES FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH INC.
EARLY WORDS PRESCHOOL SPEECH AND LANGUAGE, CENTRAL SOUTH INFANT HEARING AND BLIND-LOW VISION PROGRAMS
How We Protect Your Privacy
We handle and protect your personal health information in accordance with Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) and any other laws that we are required to follow. We provide training, follow established policies, and take other steps to ensure that our staff and anyone else acting on our behalf protects your privacy.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Health Information
Your request for care from us implies consent for our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal health information for the following purposes:
- to provide and assist in the provision of health care to you through our services, programs, and facilities;
- to get payment for health care and any related goods and services provided to you, including from OHIP, your private insurer, WSIB, and others as necessary;
- to plan, administer, and manage the operation of our services, programs, and facilities;
- to manage risk and improve the quality and safety of our services and programs;
- to educate or train our agents to provide health care;
- to conduct research activities as approved by a research ethics board;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and,
- to fulfill other purposes that are permitted or required by law.
By completing this form, I acknowledge that my child’s information is being entered into the ASCY client database and the provincial database for service evaluation.
From time to time, we may communicate about your care with your other health care providers, including collecting, using, and disclosing your personal health information through electronic medical information systems (sometimes called electronic health records, eHealth records, electronic medical records, etc.). If you would like more information about the electronic medical information systems we use, please speak with our Privacy Contact.
Any uses of your personal health information other than those mentioned above would require your express consent.
Your Rights and Choices
PHIPA provides you with certain rights related to your personal health information under our custody or control. Please communicate with our Privacy Contact for more information related to your rights:
- to see and get a copy of your personal health information;
- to ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete personal health information;
- to withdraw your consent to our collection and use of your personal health information or its disclosure to other health care providers (subject to certain legal obligations); and,
- to be informed if your personal health information is lost, stolen or improperly accessed.
Our Privacy Contact
For more information or to raise a concern about our privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Contact:
Name: Ruth Doherty
Phone: 905-574 -6876 ext. 223
1160 Upper Paradise Road, Unit-6
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario is responsible for making sure that privacy law is followed in Ontario. For more information about your privacy rights, or if you are unable to resolve an issue directly with our Privacy Contact and wish to make a complaint, contact:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toll Free: 1-800-387-0073
GENERAL SERVICES / PROGRAMS AT ASCY
How We Protect Your Privacy
While accessing the services / programs of ASCY it implies consent for the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information as it relates to the work of ASCY. It is used only for the purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate for a non-profit, charitable organization. There are safeguards in place at all levels of our organization to help protect your privacy. Some of these safeguards include limiting data collection; seeking consent prior to collecting personal data; limiting the use of the data we collect and limiting the length of time we keep this data. We also regularly review the purposes for which we are collecting information and limit access to this data to a small number of authorized persons who require the information in order to serve you. All of our internal systems and procedures are designed to protect your information from error, loss, and unauthorized access.
ASCY does not sell or otherwise make available any personal, contact or sensitive information to third-parties obtained from our members, clients or other community agencies/partners. We regularly check to ensure our policies, practices and procedures are compliant with applicable privacy legislation.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
ASCY is a non-profit, registered charitable organization. From time to time, ASCY may ask those involved with the organization to provide or update personal information. This may occur for a variety of reasons including:
- to register for our programs and services;
- to ensure you meet eligibility requirements for our programs and services;
- to inform you of upcoming professional learning, special events, resources available, etc.
- for research and planning purposes;
- for legal, regulatory or contractual requirements.
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
The Canada Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) requires that anyone sending commercial electronic messages (CEMs) obtain the express consent of recipients. Emails sent by ASCY generally fall under two categories: informational which is exempt from the legislation and those which have a cost attached. For this reason, we obtain your explicit written consent when sending you emails providing information about services, programs or products that have a cost. If at any time you wish to be removed from our email lists, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Privacy Concerns
If you have questions or concerns about ASCY’s privacy practices, our electronic distribution lists, or the accuracy of any of our data which involves you personally, please contact ASCY’s Executive Director at 905-574-6876 at ext. 223.